The Future is Insight

The title of this blog works on many levels- it plays off of my belief in hybrids being a critical step towards our future, the fact that introspection and mindful planning are critical to our future, and that the future is literally in sight for those that are willing to see it. Here I chronicle my attempt to Be the Change I wish to see in the world-and to help make that Future a Reality.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Sustainablity Library

I had the last week off. That means in addition to spending an awesome amount of time with family I also read too much-including 2-3 books on how "you too can farm!". And we aren’t there yet, so to it had the end result of ramming me into a funk. I cruised BCS tractors (I would go with the 732 modified for diesel from Earthtools), priced soil block makers and wheel hoes on Johnny’s Seeds with my brain running 150mph the entire time on how we can do this!... But then I grounded myself. I am not ready to farm. For starters I am clueless in regards to hands one knowledge, and more importantly I have a huge backyard that I need to fully utilize before I go out renting land. So since I can't do much other than look at seed catalogs right now I focused on my Sustainability Library recommendations. Here is the list so far:

Green Building
Green Remodeling: Changing the World One Room at a Time, David R. Johnson, Kim Master
The New Ecological Home: A Complete Guide to Green Building Options, Dan Chiras

Green Living
It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living, Chrissy Trask
Timeless Simplicity, John Lane
The Integral Urban House, Farallones Institue

Civil Engineering
Toward Sustainable Communities: Resources for Citizens and Their Governments, Mark Roseland
Food Not Lawns, H. C. Flores
Edens Lost and Found, Harry Wiland and Dale Bell
The Natural Step for Communities, Sarah James

Agriculture/Gardening
Gaia’s Garden, Toby Hemmenway
Successful Small-Scale Farming: An Organic Approach
Five Acres and Independence by Maurice G. Kains
Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison
PERMACULTURE: A Designers' Manual by Bill Mollison and Reny Mia Slay
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands Vol 1, Brad Lancaster
Family Friendly Farming, Joel Salatin
The Contrary Farmer & Living at Nature's Pace, Gene Logdson
The New Organic Grower & Four Season Harvest, Elliot Coleman

Sustainability
Natural Capitalism, Paul Hawken/Amory Leins/L. Hunter Lovins
Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability by David Holmgren
Serve God, Save the Planet: A Christian Call to Action, J. Matthew Sleeth, MD
Dr. Art’s Guide to Planet Earth, Art Sussman Ph D.
Mid-Course Correction, Ray Anderson
Plan B 2.0, Lester R. Brown
State of the World 2006, The Worldwatch Institute
An Inconvient Truth, Al Gore

This list is by no means complete-I mostly just browsed Chelsea Green's publications for their less fringe books, and then typed them into Amazon to see their suggested readings. This list is very incomplete, but I am trying for accessibility to the average citizen and also to bridge a variety of disciplines to reach more people.

I am meeting with the librarians on Tuesday-again any suggestions are appreciated!

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home