The Future is Insight

The title of this blog works on many levels- it plays off of my belief in hybrids being a critical step towards our future, the fact that introspection and mindful planning are critical to our future, and that the future is literally in sight for those that are willing to see it. Here I chronicle my attempt to Be the Change I wish to see in the world-and to help make that Future a Reality.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Pizza Perfect

Tonight I feel we finally drove the stake through the heart of the plaintive "organic is tooooo expensive" argument. The picture above was dinner tonight. The photo is grainy, and jaundiced (10 yr old digital camera) but it shows a roughly $1.73 100% organic pizza. Making it simultaneously the least expensive and, perhaps, best tasting pizza I have ever had.

But before you get freaky excited, there is a price, though again not so steep: Time. This was all from scratch (OK I bought premade cheese and sauce) From the time the water hit the bowl to pizza on the table was about 2.5 hours. That is no Dominoes, but in the down time while the crust rose I was able to read 60 pages of Eliot Coleman's The New Organic Grower, play with the kids, and help cube up fresh-made sour dough bread for Thanksgiving's stuffing. Not too shabby. Actual prep time was about 40 minutes.

But back to that $1.73 number:
3 cups organic flour ($.60)
1/2 can of Muir Glen Pizza Sauce ($1.15)
1/8 Bag Org. Spinach ($.60)
1/5 pound of a brick of some local Org Mozzarella ($1.00)

Plus some water, a pinch of yeast, 2 tbsp olive oil and some corn meal but those are almost free.
This made 2 pizza's-and as the crust was about 1" thick with real whole grains I ate about 1/2 as much as normal so we have lunch premade for tomorrow. Glazing the crust with olive oil made the entire pizza divine!

Comparable pizza's would have been $8 each. But they aren't organic, or as good, and my kids can't help knead the dough!

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

2 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger Maddy Avena said...

I just love you, Beo!
xoxo
Maddy

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Beo said...

*blush*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home