The Future is Insight

The title of this blog works on many levels- it plays off of my belief in hybrids being a critical step towards our future, the fact that introspection and mindful planning are critical to our future, and that the future is literally in sight for those that are willing to see it. Here I chronicle my attempt to Be the Change I wish to see in the world-and to help make that Future a Reality.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Back in the Saddle

62.5

Not a number I think of much, but given the fact that it represents the miles per gallon on the trip home with my refurbished and beloved Insight I am elated to see it shining back at me from the dash. It was also literally double the number that the rental Chevy HHR put up on the same trip.

As a refresh, over 3 weeks ago a field mouse had eaten thru much of the engine harness on the Insight, taking out a fuel injector in the mix. That little rodent ended up causing over $3000 worth of damage-even with used parts. The wiring harness was toast, so that was replaced. When it was all hooked up it became apparent that the ECU unit had shorted. Another week to source one, and then after that was in and we discovered that the bad ECU had sent enough nastiness thru the system to fry the first catalytic converter. The first 2 repairs were under my comprehensive insurance (thanks State Farm!) and the third was under my Honda Certified Warranty. Let it not be said the hybrid caused the 3 week turn around-each part had to be approved by the insurance-adding 4-5 days each time.

Of course the battery was dead when I picked it up, but once it was recharged (20 miles under light charging) it appears to be running smoother than ever. Like 110mpg around town in 4th gear, and a steady 75mpg while accelerating up the very slight incline in town.

It's good to be back!

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home