The Future is Insight

The title of this blog works on many levels- it plays off of my belief in hybrids being a critical step towards our future, the fact that introspection and mindful planning are critical to our future, and that the future is literally in sight for those that are willing to see it. Here I chronicle my attempt to Be the Change I wish to see in the world-and to help make that Future a Reality.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Wicked Good Pancakes

One of the more endeering weekend rituals that we have developed here in the Beo/Mia household is that the kids and I usually make pancakes on Sunday Mornings. Several years ago these were from a box, then last year they were from scratch from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, but now I have enough confidence that I just whip them up to my fancy. Betty uses too much oil, and God only knows what Bisquick uses so I made my own 'recipe'. It is heavy on the whole grains, but still light and can be made Fat Free. Either way is super easy to be 100% organic.

In a medium sized bowl add:

1 Egg
3/4 Cup Milk
1/4 strawberry yogurt

Whisk vigorously then add:

1/2 cup Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Unbleached White Flour
1 Tbsp Wheat Germ
1/8 cup Ground Flax Seed
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Honey

Mix well with a spoon of some sort and ladle them onto a well greased ( 2 tsp Olive Oil) hot griddle (should sputter when water is dripped on it).

This makes about 8 1/4 cup pancakes. For the kids I use lowfat yogurt and milk to give them some healthy fats for healthy brains, for Mia and I - I use skim milk, fat free yogurt, and 2 egg whites if I am feeling particularly low cal. To truly hit Fat Free, you will need to pull the flax meal and substitute more w. wheat flour, but those Omega 3's are worth it for me. Product Plug with Pride: we use Organic Valley, well everything, because after touring their facility and meeting much of their staff they have proved themselves to be the Real Deal. They Care-not just about making shockingly good dairy products-but about helping farmers, families and the Earth live better more sustainable lives and plug thousands of dollars into our local economy annually thru grants and fair prices to our local organic farmers. The extra $1 per dozen eggs is a charitable contribution in our book. Stoneyfield Farms makes the best yogurt hands down organic low fat, and 100% natural light yogurt-no chem-class sweeteners- if you were to chemically analyze them, are kids are about 20% Stoneyfield's farm yogurt.

I prefer thick pancakes, and these will rise to about 3/8-1/2"-add more milk if you want them thinner. These are a sweet pancake that don't need much syrup or jelly. To include the kids my 4 year old has now graduated to stirring while my 2 year old adds the dry goods that I have measured. Messy? Heck Yeah! But good, good fun!

Enjoy!

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

1 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting your famous and healthy pancake recipe. I'll have to make these for my husband (but not tell him they're healthy).

Your introductory remarks are inspiring. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home