The Future is Insight

The title of this blog works on many levels- it plays off of my belief in hybrids being a critical step towards our future, the fact that introspection and mindful planning are critical to our future, and that the future is literally in sight for those that are willing to see it. Here I chronicle my attempt to Be the Change I wish to see in the world-and to help make that Future a Reality.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Natural Drain Cleaner

This will not be my most glorious post, but it fits in well and in the long run will have a significant impact on our sustainability. This post starts with the clogged drain in our master bath. I had been watching it slow for a week or so, and over this weekend it began backing up. Neither my wife or I was too keen on going out and purchasing some Drano-all those heavy metals going into the water stream aren't something we undertake lightly, but the drain was getting nasty. We use Seventh Generation and other eco-friendly, less toxic cleaners, but nothing like drain cleaner. Luckily a friend had given us a copy of Clean and Green so I looked up natural alternatives. The solution seemed too easy-chuck some baking soda down the drain, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wash it down with some vinegar. I had my doubts, but as they used a reference to Mt Vesuvius in the book's description I was willing to give it a try on the merits of the obscure historical reference alone. Down went the soda, it chunked up in the water so I had to cram it in-it was difficult to get past the stopper. Then a liter of vinegar. I don't know about creating a volcano, but the effervescence was encouraging. It took about 15 minutes, but by the end I had the drain working again, but it will take some retreatments to get it done right. Still I am very encouraged that $1 worth of all natural ingredients got the job done with virtually zero impact on the environment. I am now a believer in natural cleaning products. Will be tackling a natural 'soft scrubber' next for the kitchen sink. I will provide a report!
-Beo

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home