The Future is Insight

The title of this blog works on many levels- it plays off of my belief in hybrids being a critical step towards our future, the fact that introspection and mindful planning are critical to our future, and that the future is literally in sight for those that are willing to see it. Here I chronicle my attempt to Be the Change I wish to see in the world-and to help make that Future a Reality.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cargo Bikes

I like quirky bikes. I love the sustainable power sources (powered by peanut butter toast and coffee), their simplicity (50-60lbs v. 1800 for my Insight), and their small business mentality (Lightfoot or Little Circles are alot smaller than Honda). Thanks to some quick comments yesterday from Mike and Matt there is another bike on my wish list.
The Bakfiets is a Dutch style"work bike" and is gorgeous. Plus it is packed full of goodies like internal hub gearing, roller brakes and hub generated dynamos for lights. This is one seriously functional cargo bike for the city/rural roads that is spec'd for the long haul. Not sure if I would trust it on a tractor path, but given the engineering visible in the picture I am sure it is more stable than I think. Pricing seems reasonable and their other city bikes are worth a shot too-I am particularly partial to their Secret Service which is dripping with Retro/Functional cool and a nice price.

This may not solve the 40 mile commute daydream, but for getting product to market or running to the store the Bakfiets is one sweet ride.
-Beo

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

3 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine just arrived recently in Richmond, Indiana. I'm loving it.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Beo said...

Nicely done, Mark!

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beo,

Thanks for the plug! I think you'd be surprised at how well a Bakfiets handles. It is no mountain bike, but I used it to move my booth and propaganda up and down the hills and fields at SolarFest. It worked well, and at one point I walked a steep pitch on a footpath - but I was easily able to push it along. (I had about 120 pounds in the front!)

I enjoy the blog... keep up the good work.

-Mike
www.littlecirclesbikes.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home