The Future is Insight

The title of this blog works on many levels- it plays off of my belief in hybrids being a critical step towards our future, the fact that introspection and mindful planning are critical to our future, and that the future is literally in sight for those that are willing to see it. Here I chronicle my attempt to Be the Change I wish to see in the world-and to help make that Future a Reality.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Mache

So I have officially kicked off the 2007 gardening season! Here in far northern Zone 5 planting outside on March 1 is new to me. But using the successful coldframe design of 2006 I trudged through the 2' drifts to my gardens, scratched two rows into the pleasantly warm and moist soil and planted 20 mache plants.

Now back to that zone 5 part. Last week we had some 40 degree days, enough to inspire me to order 2 packets of Vit from Cook's Gardens. While they were en route, I decided to moisten the soil in the coldframe. How? I shoveled it full of snow of course! Temps in the frame are hitting 75 degrees on the clear 40 degree days and the snow melted in days. Of course now that I have seeds in soil nighttime temps are back down to the single digits...

Unfortunately the pic is not from my garden, look for updates in a month or so!

Labels:

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Perhaps I can try now. Wow! Now I really need to build that coldframe. :)

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger e4 said...

That, sunchokes, and chestnuts are three things I don't think I've ever tasted, but that I'm dying to. Let us know how it goes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home